Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Secret Santa


So today has been a great day.  There have been a lot of little things that have just made me happy.  Bella has been super cuddly and will randomly run up to screaming Mommy and give me the biggest, " I LOVE YOU SOOOO MUCH AND REALLY MEAN IT" hugs!  It's been awesome.  I'm just so in love with this little girl. She did the cutest thing today.  I was on the computer, working on Mitch's Christmas present, while she played with her animal puzzle on our bed.  She loves to talk and was gibbering on and then she sang (in the correct tune) "A..B..C..D..E..F..G".  I was stunned and amazed, I didn't even know she knew any of the alphabet, let alone seven letters in order (Thank you, Barney!) so I rushed over to finish the job, and started singing the alphabet hoping to inspire her to sing the rest with me.  After I finished singing, she bowed her head and looked at me, and then said "Aaamen."  I laughed so hard. She's such a sweet child.

I've felt an overwhelming since of peace today and it's been awesome.  I did complete my Mormon.Org profile last night, so once that gets approved, I'll share the link here.  I think that might have something to do with it, okay, alot... the gospel always makes me happy.  There is something about bearing your testimony and writing it down... I really feel like I can be a part of something bigger, and HEY! who doesn't want to be part of something great?  There was a moment where I started to feel bummed in my day ( I'm such a weather emotion person, ie, SUNNY = HAPPY, RAINY/ CLOUDY = NOT SO HAPPY... I'm weird, I know.)  BUT I remembered a conversation I had with my little sister (she's four) about how we have choices.  We CHOOSE to be upset and how we react.  It's okay to be upset when there's something to be upset about, and there's a healthy way to express that but we should choose to try and be happy.  SO that's what I did, I chose to be happy and wouldn't ya know... bum bum blues went out the door and I've kept the peace.

Some of the other little things that have made my day... and this is sooo trivial, but lately when I Facebook, which hasn't been that frequently because all of the commuting, I feel like I'm talking to No Man's Land.  Rejection can be rough on Facebook, not that it rules my life, because it doesn't but everyone likes to go on there and see a notification, etc.  Or maybe it's just me being weird again. ANYWAYS, without even trying, my statuses have generated conversation!  Which sounds absolutely ridiculous, because even as I'm typing this, I realize how pre-pubescent this sounds, and still I write.... haha, but when you're home all day with a little one, adult interaction is priceless.  I love my Bella... with all my heart, she's my favorite person, with Mitch, but I find myself wanting to connect with people... who share my opinions or even care about me.  Now I know that's just a woman thing, not a me being weird thing.  So what made my day so great was one of my statuses was in the form of a Dear Santa letter.  I was sampling/listening to Michael Bubl'e's Christmas CD on iTunes, but with Mitch in school and Christmas around the corner, I can't justify spending funds we obviously don't have.  It was more of a creative way to share I like the CD, than a plea for someone to buy me the CD.  But that's what happened.  A very sweet lady that was a big part of my life, offered to get it for me as a delayed wedding gift, which although very sweet.  I couldn't accept.  That wasn't my intention.  Just the feeling and reception that people gave me made my heart smile (I'm a simple person) but here comes the AWESOME part,  I got an email, from someone who I don't know and they don't know me but we have mutual friends and they emailed me (in SIX separate emails) the entire Michael Bubl'e Christmas CD (which they assured me, they paid for).  I've never had a real Secret Santa before and they really are a secret because I have no idea who they are and they asked to remain anonymous, which I completely respect.  I was just so touched, that someone, who doesn't even know me or has any personal interest vested in me, took time to attach 18 songs in six emails to someone they've never met.  Because they saw my status on Facebook and it really made a difference.  Of course, I am loving the songs, but it's the act of kindness that has just made my day.  It's also a reminder to me of the real meaning of Christmas, giving.  Giving freely without expecting anything in return.  Remembering Christ, who set the ultimate example of this, charity and gave His life for me.

When I'm listening in church and here the lessons about living righteously and being blessed or if you pray with an earnest desire and righteous intent, it will be provided... I'm very apt to dismiss that it applies to me.  It's not intentional, and it shows weakness, again, not my intent but I'm being honest, it's there.  This was a friendly reminder for me.  If someone who doesn't know me, would go out of their way, to provide something I wanted, not needed.  Then how much sense does it make to think that my Savior, who does know me and my needs and wants and loves me unconditionally, wouldn't include me in these wonderful blessings and opportunities?  You're right, it makes no sense it all.  It's strengthened my testimony that much more.  It's reassured me, that even though we're asking for some pretty big things... like grad school, housing, finances, when to grow our family... my Savior and Father in Heaven know me, they really know me and love me and are listening to my prayers.  And I believe They will answer them and provide a way for these things to come to pass.  They provided a way for me to get the CD, which was a want, and I didn't pray for it.  But nonetheless, I'm pretty sure my Secret Santa was inspired and it makes me feel good to know, someone is thinking of me.

I can't fully describe how this little act of kindness impacted my life.  I just don't feel like this kind of thing happens to me, so it's a big deal for me.  Even with all the bad stuff going on, "in the world", there are still good people.  People who want to be better people and are doing their best.  We are all children of God and during this Christmas season, let's remember what it's really about.  Christmas gifts are fun, seeing family and eating yummy food is awesome, but the real reason we celebrate Christmas is because it marks the birth of Christ, and not just because He was a child of virgin birth, which is pretty impressive by itself, but of His life, His ministry, and His Atonement.  He made it possible for all to have eternal life and return to live with our Heavenly Family.  He set the ultimate example for us.  It if is good, it is of Christ.  Let's keep the Christmas spirit all year long and maintain the charity we feel towards others and try to see people for who they are, Children of God, doing the best they can, to get back Home.

Merry Christmas and God Bless :)

1 comment: