Wednesday, November 14, 2012
Bedtime stories.
Depending on what time Ronan goes to bed, I've had the change to put Bella to sleep. During said bed times, I've started telling her stories. I use "Bella the Butterfly" and "Bella the Princess" to help her fall asleep and maybe even subliminally try to get her to listen to me better... or some other moral concept. At first they started out short, simple, and sweet. Now, I'd be lying if I didn't admit I get excited to see what adventures they get into.
Tonight, Mitch put her to bed while I caught up on some much needed things and since Ronan was asleep, I got a ton accomplished. About an hour later, he came in and said I needed to take over because he needed to study. I don't mind this one bit. I completely understand being frustrated after an hour of trying to lure your child to sleep while she continues to bounce on the bed or wiggle every few moments... just when you think she's asleep. These are the moments I'm glad we are a team because its these moments, when you know you have a partner to tag team, when things get trying, make all the difference in the world. I've been there... several times. so I relieved him of his duties and headed into her room. Another reason I was so willing to help was because guess who got to take a three hour nap for the first time in a month?!?! THIS GIRL! So I expected that bed time might not come as easily as it has been. So I relieved him of his duties and headed into her room. She was tucked into bed and I gave her my hand to hold.
I told her the customary "Bella the Butterfly" and "Bella the Princess", per her request, in the calmest, and sweetest voice I could to help bring her to sleepyland. Well that didn't work. She was calm and very sleepy but she was fighting it to the very end. Trying to milk every bit of this day that she could before sleep could overcome her. After about thirty minutes of listening to her breathe, cuddling her, and trying to use pressure points on her forehead, and playing with her hair, she still was not asleep. And I was hungry, so I told her I needed to go potty (can't argue with that logic) and that I would return after that. I asked her stay in bed under the covers, where it was warm, close her eyes and I would come back. I grabbed her sock monkey and told her to hold him until I got back and not to worry because Heavenly Father and Jesus were watching over her and she would be safe. I kissed her on the forehead, told her I loved her (she sleepily responded that she loved me too) and I walked out of the room. I then went into where Mitch was studying and told him of my experiment. I figured she was pretty sleepy, so I was going to see if she would fall asleep on her own.
I got a little something to eat and drink and took my time consuming them. So far, no Bella and no noise from her room. I went to check something on the computer and then checked on Ronan. Everything was peachy. I wanted to keep my promise to her and went back in her room to check on her.
Out of the darkness, she reached her small hand up for me to hold and then I knelt down beside her bed, and she fell fast asleep. My sweet little angel, how I treasure our bedtime moments.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment