Monday, April 15, 2013

Ronan's Birth Story, Part 3


As you can see, Ronan is now seven weeks  FOUR MONTHS today... and I'm just getting around to writing his "birth story" It's been crazy... but it's been worth it.  So here it is:

My nursing staff was great.  Even now, the day seems like a blur, but at the time, I felt very present in the moment... if that makes any sense at all.  Maybe that's how birth is supposed to be, present and clear.  With Bella, it felt surreal and exhausting and almost out of body... this I contribute to the Ambien and Phenagren.  But with Ronan, I had none of those things.  So this was my second child, and I knew what was coming, so to speak.  Your mind forgets things but your body does not.

First of all, I was just SO proud I was in labor, all by myself (given Heavenly Father helped BIG time) with that, but nonetheless, I walked myself into "active labor" I had earned everthing culminating this moment after being physically tested pretty much my entire third trimester.  My biggest concern was being able to breathe or push without too much pain, because I had been coughing so hard, I'm convinced (an even more so now, after giving birth and being in pain for a month afterwards in my ribs) that I had cracked ribs.  I don't know what you know about labor and delivering a baby, but you push with all ya got, and your ribs are included in that equation.  I could only imagine that pain, but thankfully, that wasn't the issue. 

After I crawled into my bed, they started me on the IV.  Since I had been on three rounds of anti-biotics, I never got tested for Strep B (not an STD) because the anti-biotics could fake a false negative.  So since I was positive with Bella, they went ahead and started the anti-biotics and the fluids for my epidural.  I knew I wanted an epidural from the get go, so I told them get me going on what I need :)  Then a nice lady came in to talk to me and asked if it was okay if a student observed.  I thought, "Sure, why not?"  It's my second baby and its not like a million people aren't already seeing everything.  Honestly, I was just so happy to finally be in labor and they asked really nicely.  At that time, I didn't think she would be there for the labor so I didn't mind another person.  Since I was the only lady in labor, I had lots of attention and everyone was super nice.  They left me to soak up my fluids and kept monitoring my contractions.  Which started to get pretty painful, and they amped up the fluids so I could get the epidural faster.  I loved that I was alert and I was able to ask questions about my concerns, unlike with Bella, I actually felt like I had a hold on what was going on and I had control of my delivery.  Mitch is always lovable and a funny guy so we had a great time with our care staff.  I'm pretty sure the nurses just thought he was hot! I don't blame them.

I finally finished my fluids and the most wonderful man came to see me, my anesthiologist!  I was just so grateful for this technology.  The last time, I was so out of things, it didn't even hurt or maybe it was because Mitch was there and holding me and I didn't notice.  Two negatives about epidurals at Lexington. 

1. They won't let anyone be present in the room during the epidural besides
    LMC staff... sad face.  So Mitch had to leave.
2.  Once you get the epidural, they cath you.  sad and angry face.  This is not
     fun.
The great news is I had a wonderful labor and delivery nurse who held me and kept me steady.  I held her hands as I hugged my pillow and thanked her for comfort over and over.  It was just nice to have someone take care of you that really seemed to care about you.  I continued to joke with the nurse and the drug man, because that's what I do in uncomfortable situations.  I tried not to think about what was going on.  Truth be told, this epidural did hurt.  But it was a the lesser of two evils and once it took effect it was worth every bit.  They had to do the cath which was pretty akward with audience, but thankfully they waited for the epidural to take effect so I didn't have to feel it.  They we're going to let the student do it and the first try I was not completely numb so they waited longer for the medicine to kick in.  Which I was grateful for, but it's kind of hard to carry on a conversation with someone (the student was slightly younger than me) after they just saw your whole world.  I can only imagine what she may be thinking, but she seemed really nice and professional.  I'm so glad I had the epidural because the after effects of having that cath made me want to consider having a natural birth for my next child, if there is a "next child."

Once I was successfully cathed, they left me alone for a bit.  And we spent the down time taking pictures, or calling people. I had asked a good friend to take pictures for me but she was still trying to locate a babysitter for her young son.  So at this point, it looked like we wouldn't have any pictures of the the actual delivery, which would have been fine.  They were nice to have with Bella, but the most important thing, was that our little Ronan was finally going to be here!  My mom left to go get Mitch some lunch so I wouldn't be alone, which I was very grateful for.  He was even nice enough not to eat in the room.  Since I had some downtime, I also put on a little mascara and chapstick.  It's amazing what those two can do for your face... I'm not saying it's a miracle worker, just makes a difference so since I was definitely having the baby, I wanted to look somewhat decent and I felt that it would suffice.  The nurses came back in to check on me and I found it odd, I could still move my legs.  She made sure to keep turning me every hour or so that the epidural wouldn't take to just one side.  The weirdest thing was, I could not a feel a thing on the insides of my legs but I could feel everything on the outside of my legs.  I was terrified the epidural wasn't working properly and let them know frequently.

At about three-ish the doctor came into check my progress and break my water.  It's not the most pleasant feeling but it is what it is.  When he broke my water, he was shocked there was so much fluid.  He even apologized for being so shocked because he reacted like "Whoa" which freaked me out.  Since I was past my due date, they usually have the opposite problem. He also noted that the amniotic fluid was green which mean Ronan had already passed the meconium.  I knew this wasn't good.  He said not to worry about it and that he would have a special delivery unit present at delivery to work on Ronan, just to get everything suctioned out.  My heart sank.  I tried not to show my worry face, but Mitch knew it all too well.  I tried my hardest not to google it.  I even told Mitch I wouldn't and he agreed to do the same.  We are SUCH liars.  We both googled it.. and it wasn't too comforting.  But I kept the faith, as I have been this whole time!  It was still a very nerve wrecking waiting game.  They left us to our own demise and that can never be a good thing.  So we just waited in a somber state.

Around four, the nurse came in and informed my contractions were slowing down. She checked me and I was at 5 cm. Since the meconium had already passed, that wasn't a great thing so they gave me pitocin to help speed things up.  This was fine since I had the epidural, I couldn't tell a difference.  She suggested I try to get some sleep, which I tried to do.  My mom sat by me in a chair and I tried to relax enough to be able to fall asleep.  My mind was racing, of course, thinking about everything, but also realizing I needed my rest.  I spent my time praying or trying to relax or focusing on getting Ronan here.

As I was laying there, I started to feel a very strong sensation and pressure like I was pooping myself (*** I did not poop myself, however, I now know what it would feel like if I ever do***) So I called the nurse because that's where I felt pressure last time right before Bella came.  It wasn't that long ago that the nurse had left, so I didn't think I was going to have the baby then... I was more concerned I was able to feel something!  About this time, Mitch said he was thirsty and wanted a drink... and with me feeling pressure, I was not going to let him leave!  So my mom went in search of a Dr. Pepper and the nurse came in immediately and checked me.

When she checked me, I was at a full 10cm! The next little bit of time went by really quickly. The nurse walkie talkies the doctor and the once empty room is now filled with staff methodically preparing to bring my child into this world. I think they had some practice. At this time, I asked my mom to leave and she went to the waiting room. The doctor walks in and they start to prep me to push. As I'm about to push my friend Laurie walks in and Mitch hands her my camera! It works flawlessly. Mitch is holding my hand as they prepare me to push and Ronan's head is crowning. In this moment, I felt so present, so in control. I was about to meet my little man and I was so ready. I wasn't afraid or anxious, just ready. My body knew what to do and I let it. It was a wonderful spiritual experience in the moment, I had peace. I had peace he would be okay and healthy. I had peace that my Father in Heaven was helping me through this. it was just really neat. I guess all that yoga paid off because they actually had to tell me to back off pushing so hard. I didn't want the problem I had with Bella so I gave it everything I had. I now realize that's because I was literally ripping apart (yet again, grateful for epidurals) but I didn't feel it. I think at the second push Mitch's neck started to hurt because he'd been standing too long and had to sit down. I guess we both thought it would be like Bella and I'd be pushing for two hours so we were not prepared for a 15 minute delivery. That's right easiest delivery yet and rightfully so after one hellacious pregnancy! At 6:15pm, Ronan Asher Howe graced us with his presence. His cry was the most glorious sound since Bella didn't cry at first. At least he was crying. The nurses made Mitch sit down because they thought the blood was making him faint but he was fine so he missed out on cutting the cord with this baby too! Poor guy! From what Mitch and the pictures relayed, there was a lot of blood! I left the hospital with an iron level of 8.7 so yeah... It was bad.  My delivery felt so easy that I felt like I could take on the world!  I hadn't eaten all day so I ordered TWO dinners and ate until I couldn't eat anymore!  This was a terrible idea.  I started feeling pretty nauseated so they gave me something for nausea.  As soon as the nurse came to get me to transfer me to room I started to get really hot and shaky.  They put me in this very weird stand up/ segway/ wheelchair contraption so they could wheel me to the bathroom to be cleaned up.  It's very weird having someone else wash you and as soon as the nurse has me cleaned up, I threw up everywhere! Along with my medicine.   I felt so bad and I just kept apologizing over and over and trying (failing) to clean myself up.  She was so sweet and told me to quit apologizing, I'd just had a baby!  I was doing great.  Then the chills came, I was shaking all over and I had SIX blankets all over me.  I kept trying to calm down so they'd let me get back up so I could potty without having to be cathed.  I remember that horrible experience with Bella.  After you have a baby, you have pee within a certain amount of time or they cath you.  I tried to go and I literally thought I was going to die, it felt like someone was stabbing me!  That was the result of being cathed for so long.  The nurse was super sweet and kept bringing me Sprite until I had no other option but to go potty instead of cathing me!  I was so grateful for such a sweet nursing staff and what a blessing they were.  Around midnight, I had peed, the shaking was gone and I was holding the most precious little boy in all the world. And he we mine. And I was his.  And we've been together happily ever since.

SO overall, this was a positive experience.

I couldn't believe I had a son.  We had done it again, created this precious little life, to call our own.  And we have been overjoyed ever since.

Obligatory pic of the room... taken from my hospital bed since I was strapped into monitors

My GQ husband, charging our iPhones so we could keep everyone posted on Ronan's progress

My IV machine and fetal monitor

Thankfully they only had to stick me once!  versus three tries with Bella

Waiting for my epidural, as you can see, this was between a contraction

"Blue Steel" for all you Zoolander fans... post epidural of course!

All hooked up and nowhere to go



Getting ready to have a baby... with the man that made it possible ;)



Me and the Mema

I was looking at Mitch, thinking... we are about to meet our little boy!

One of the three pushes it took to bring little man into this world

And he's here!  and not lavender like Bella



Mitch had to sit down because of his neck and the nurses made him sit so he didn't get to cut the cord this time either

The nurse carrying him to the Neonatal special delivery team to work on

Cleaning out his lung

Watching my little man being worked on and thinking the most wonderful sound was hearing him cry





One proud Mommy!



Nothing bonds a people together like letting them stitch your lady parts back together, might as well laugh at their jokes!


One Proud Daddy!











The best L&D nurse ever!

















































Believe it or not, in two years, I forgot how to breastfeed... but we figured it out!










Bella was SO excited to meet her little brother and I was so excited to see her!  





















Welcome little man, we love you!


1 comment:

  1. Better late than never :) You have been busy with a toddler and newborn. ;)

    I loved Ronan's birth story. I laughed a little too. You were blessed to have such an easy delivery!!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete