Saturday, April 30, 2011

Mucho Caliente...and I'm not just talking about us

 
We finally had a date night!

(Cue Lil Jon's "Okaaaay" and "Yeeeaaa-yah" in the background.  For the record, I don't know how to properly spell Lil Jon ebonics.)



I can count on one hand the number of date nights we have had since Bella was born.  She's 10 months... that's pretty pathetic.  I can count on two fingers the date nights that consisted of just us and not just going to get something to eat,  and our Anniversary was not one of them.  We ate and then came home.  That's partially my fault because I didn't want to waste money on a movie I didn't want to see and was still working at the time so I was A) exhausted all the time B) felt guilty about spending money I could spend on Bella C) Just wanted to get home to my baby... we were still in the early stages of leaving her to go out. Since I was working I also felt guilty about doing anything for myself and felt like I needed to punish myself for working and leaving her... (Sorry Mitch :(  I'll make it up to you next year)  Nonetheless, pretty sad for anniversary celebrations of said twenty-ish people.

OKAY...okay, I'm not being very honest with myself or you.  We have completely slacked in the dating department, settling for the all-time classic, dinner and a movie.  Little to no actual conversation in these events (We do talk, just not very in depth, thus the eating, watching the movie, texting about Baby... kind of hard to have life changing conversations when your focused on everything else... AGAIN, totally my fault (1/2 way,at least))  In our defense, sometimes we get really spontaneous and do dinner and "What do we need at Wal-Mart or Babies R Us"  So in all honesty, we haven't had a good, planned out, break the mold date since our first anniversary.  (That would be the weekend of September 6, 2009, for all of you who aren't up to date on your "Mitchell and Ashley Howe's Amazing Life History... it's my understanding, it's only being taught in certain elementary and collegiate schools at this point in time.  Later that very week, Bella Grace decided she was ready to be a part of our family...this was of course, before our three year plan but we knew she was waiting to come down to earth and we decided to start our family.  It really was a sweet revelation and we couldn't be happier.)  So like I was monologue-ing, I was pregnant with Bella right after our one year anniversary... felt great for two weeks (even did the USMC Mud Run...pretty hard core while bring pregnant... we didn't know know then, that I was.)  then I was exhausted and sick to the point all I could do was work, come home, and sleep.  Maybe eat, but probably not.  I was doing good to survive.  Date night was not a priority and Mitchell was so sweet about everything.   While we did start to go out to eat more (I cooked twice, maybe three times while pregnant.) it didn't get much better as the pregnancy progressed...mostly eating and getting ready for Bella.  Date night consisted of, Where do you want to eat... Did I mention how indecisive I am?  It was more of "Here are the places I don't want to eat but I don't want to eat there either... no, not that one either."  I have a very patient husband.

Two weeks Prego, (unbeknownst to us)


I'm shameless, I know... but I could not resist... I trained hard for this Mud Run and I feel like this picture is just screaming... "Put me on a Nike commercial somewhere!"
(my body will
NEVER look like that again :( )


Back to date night....so needless to say it has been a hot minute since we have had an actual bonafide, planned out date where we got dressed up and went out.  Well guess what?  This is exactly what we did this past Friday!

It was the most amazing date ever (and not just because I planned it)!  Most definitely worth the wait :)  We've been trying to go to the temple for forever.  We have been planning to go for about a month but something always comes up!  It's harder when you have a little one with separation anxiety, (and maybe a Mom who get's pretty upset leaving her too)  a husband in college full-time and working the rest of his "free time" ... resources can be limited.  But we finally had some success.  And since we are going to the temple, you wear your Sunday best since you are going to enter the House of the Lord.  (for all non-LDS readers, temples are not our churches, we go to church on Sunday just like the rest of the Christian world.  The temple is a sacred place where worthy members perform special ordinances for ourselves and our ancestors.  It is the absolute most peaceful and sweet place in the world.  There is a link above that will tell you all about them and answer questions you might have.)  I was also excited to get to dressed up... I did my hair AND my make up and even wore panty hose!  Watch out ;)

It was Good Friday, and Mitch was working in Greeneville with plans of being home around 4:30-ish.  I don't know about your basic knowledge of landscaping and date nights, but they typically mean,  if something can go wrong, it will and especially if you are going to the Temple.  We were supposed to go the the 7pm endowment session but that's not quite how it played out.  Mitch didn't get home until 6 and he still had to shower and shave. I had his suit out and everything laid out for him.  My main goal was to keep the Spirit present so I didn't rush him or complain about details not panning out.  So we took our time getting ready.  I was sooo excited to go to the temple.  I got our temple bags ready and told Bella what we were going to do.  She smiled at me like she knew what I was talking about and even offered several times to unpack the bags I had so neatly packed.  She's a sweetheart like that.  While getting myself, my husband, and Bella ready, I somehow managed to keep the sweet countenance with me.  While Mitch was in the shower, I decided to grab a stack of post it notes and write sweet things on them and hid them in his bag so that when he opened it, he would see all the wonderful things about him.  I wrote things like "Thank you for working so hard for our family", "I am so proud of the man that you are and will be"  "You are an amazing Father" "Thank you for honoring your preisthood" "I love you" .... you get the idea, I wanted him to feel special and I was really psyched that he would be surprised... he always surprises me!

We didn't leave the house until 6:40... no way we were getting to the temple in time for 7 o'clock BUT it totally worked out for the best.  We were on our way and I said even if we just have to sit in the lobby we were going to the temple.  I can't express what a wonderful place it is and the peace you can feel there.  Literally, when you walk into the doors of the temple, its like you leave the outside world behind. All your worries, stresses, anxieties... they are all silenced.  It's like a spa for your Spirit.  We called the temple to see if there was a later session, and there wasn't but they had a sealing session for those who didn't make it the endowment session.   (Mitchell and I were sealed or married for time and all eternity on Septemeber 6, 2008.  This means we were married on this earth but it was also recorded in heaven, so instead of "till death do us part" we will never part.  We will be husband and wife for all of eternity.  Bella was born under this covenant so she is also sealed to us and we will be together as a family forever.  If you are a worthy member but weren't married in the temple, you can still be sealed to your spouse and/or your children.)  When you go to the temple you can perform ordinances as proxy for your ancestors, and they have the option to choose or accept the work done for them.  You can read more about that here, under Ordinances for the Deceased.

When we finally arrived to the temple, I could not contain my joy.  It was so nice to walk into the temple, knowing I was living my life in accordance with the gospel, so that I could enter into His House.  It was so special to do that with my arm in my husband's arm, walking side by side, feeling the love between us and our love for the Lord.  We were able to participate in a small sealing session.  It was so wonderful  to hear the same covenants we made as a couple when we were sealed and to be reminded of  the promises we made to each other and with the our Father in Heaven.  It was so special to be in the temple on Good Friday and think of our Savior.  It was a really sweet experience and am so grateful for the time we had there.
I promise you there is no better date night than to be with your sweetheart, sitting in the Celestial Room,  enjoying the sweet and peaceful countenance that is there.

After we left the temple, (are tummies were starting to grumble since we didn't have time to eat dinner before) we walked to our car and I handed Mitch a "Riesen" and told him, this experience reminded me of the many "reasons" I was in love with him and then we reflected on our wedding day and the special experiences we had at the temple, not so long ago.  I know it was corny, but if you know me, you know that's just who I am.

WARNING:  HIGHLY DELICIOUS AND ADDICTIVE... not necessarily in that order
Like I said we were starving!  And Mitch has been raving about this restaurant called CHIPOTLE.  They are building one in Harbison Blvd and every time we pass it, he always points it out and promises to take me because its sooo good.  Well it wasn't open yet BUT there is one in Forest Acres that wasn't too far from the temple, so guess where we went for dinner?!?!?

You guessed it, Chipotle.  It's like Moe's meets Panera Bread but Waaaay better!  Mitch's father was even nice to hand me a twenty for dinner before we went out so dinner was on the house!  (We aren't that broke we can't afford to eat, but it was a really nice gesture and much appreciated)  They don't have as many ingredient options as Moe's but the quality makes up for the lack in quantity.  All the meat is naturally raised and promises proper treatment to the animals, farmers, and producers.  Now I'm not a PETA person or anything, but I'm all for being humane.  The rice was Ahhhhmazing, it was white rice with lime and cilantro... my taste buds were doing the "la bamba". I got the Burrito bowl and Mitch got a burrito,  It was fantastic and worth the wait.  Not only did we have an excellent meal but the conversation was great too!  Mitch was even supportive of my taking photos for my blog.  (I hope you appreciate it!)  The salsa was actually pretty hot (I got a little of each one because I like different textures with my meals)  so I think I inhaled more of my food than digested it, which resulted in my immediate heartburn.  Nonetheless, HIGHLY Recommend trying Chipotle, I've been converted.

It was the best date night by far, in a VERY long time.  I look forward to our next date night.  It was such a blessing to be with my husband and spend time with him.  You get wrapped up in your day to day and taking care of everyone and everything else, that sometimes you forget the most important person in your life.  Your husband.  And your relationship together.  We're not perfect, we have a long way to go and a ton to work on, but for all intensive purposes,  I am a happy in my life and with my husband.  Not all people can be so blessed.

Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure :)

Our food... Yummy!

My attempt of being "artsy fartsy"


Mitch said this made me look weird...
...this is how that statement made me feel
This is the one "he" liked... I'm just impressed my hair is still straight.  
My Smokin' Hott Husband... <3 his fro'
Cool cups... I'm a BIG "little details" person

The coolest trashcan ever...


CONGRATS, if you've made it this far, your dedication impresses me.

No comments:

Post a Comment