I'm so proud of you little poppy seed! You're still technically just a bunch of cells growing and diving at a rapid rate BUT you're already politically involved!
On Wednesday night we went to the Romney Rally in Irmo, SC. I was fixing Bella and myself some dinner and helping you grow is making me get tired easier... so we almost didn't make it! I'd be cleaning all day and so I looked like a hot mess but in the same breath, this is a very important time in our country. It doesn't matter how you look sometimes, but that you show up. So that's what we did. Now getting there was a matter or strategy! Your older sister, though she might seem quite big to you, is still a small little one to me! I didn't want to go by myself so I called my friend Rhonda to come with me. She's about to have a new little baby too in a couple of months! You two will be best friends, I just know it! So after dinner, and a bag full of fruit snacks and lollipops, with Bella's favorite baby doll... we loaded up to the car and drove to experience the democratic process :)
When we arrived (a little late) the room was packed! Now of course, when you are the main event, you can't show up on time... it's called being fashionably late. But don't you get any ideas! I want to you to arrive either on time or early... or whenever you're ready but don't purposely try to be fashionably late. Anyways, one of the members of our ward is volunteering with Mitt Romney's campaign. So we got great seats even though we were late! It worked better for Bella and I was grateful for the small blessing. We didn't have to wait very long after that for the main event. There was energy in the air and bright lights shining down. It was hot and Bella wouldn't let me put her down. My arms were killing me and I was sweating on top of forgetting to put on deoderant! And you, little poppy seed, have a weird effect on my blood sugar because it just bottomed out (I'm going to blame a possible growth spurt for you?) So I feel like I might pass out but I so badly wanted to hear what he had to say. So I toughed it out and I'm glad I did! He and his wife are awesome! And I love their message. I really feel like Mitt Romney is the only person who can turn this country around and restore it back to the way the founding fathers intended. After the speech he went around shaking hands and signing autographs! Despite Bella's protests, I tried to stay to meet or shake his hand.... we got skipped over but it happens. We did get to see him up close and personal. It was great to see and recognize so many friends and church members to come together to support righteousnes... which is what this man is. It was great to be able to socialize too! I tried to get pictures, but I was doing good just to stand with your big sister. She did extremely well considering the amount of time we were there and her attention span. Thankfully our friends, the Batchelor's were directly across from us and were able to grab a snap shot of us! You can't exactly see yourself but you are in Mommy's Tummy.
 |
| Courtesy of the amazing Kristen Batchelor at the Romney Rally in Irmo, SC |
 |
| While our attempts to get a shot with Romney failed , our friends, by chance got us in the shot! I'll take it! |
Well after all the policatically charged goodness, I couldn't pass up another opportunity to get involved so when he came back to Gilbert (a hop, skip, and jump from Irmo) we had to go. It was raining and outside and there was no special seating. While we were waiting, Mommy's friend, Charon was able to snap a quick shot of Bella and I, since I didn't get to at the Irmo Rally. I wore make up this time.
 |
| Dum Dum's are our best friends... but even they can't tame a monster in a bad mood forever. She's a cute little monster. |
It was also closer to Bella's naptime so she wasn't as cooperative as last time. She did manage to say "Pesident" when I said Romney... so progress :) We, Howe's, our tough people so we stuck it out! THankfully, Romney wasn't as fashionably late and there were several people willing to share their umbrellas' It wasn't a downpour of rain but intermittent and light. During a bout of no rain, I hoisted your big sister on my shoulder so she could see and a photographer snapped a shot! This is probably the best shot I got with your sister and Mitt Romney!
 |
This is Bella in the bottom center... most likely the best attempt we have of a picture of Bella and the future president of the United States
Bella got a little fussy during the speech so I thought we would exit quietly and just go home, but once she was out of the crowd, she seemed to calm down a bit so we stayed a little bit longer and the speech ended. I thought I would try one last time to get a shot with Romney so we went to the sidelines, where I saw a sliver of an opening and nice older gentleman let us squeeze in! During our wait, a photographer just kept taking shot of Bella with her patriotic dress and Romney sticker on! I've yet to locate those pictures, but I am in the process of locating them (hopefully) while we were waiting, we got to meet and get our picture taken with the Governor of our state, Nikki Haley! She is the first female Governor in the history of SC and I like her!
As you can see, Bella was not very camera friendly today.
We continued waiting, and I sang Bella her favorite songs like "Wheels on the Bus" and "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" She also loves when I whisper the songs in her ear and I think it's one of our sweeter moments together. She's my little buddy and constant companion, it will be so interesting and fun to add you into our mix. I know she is just going to love you! We finally got to meet and talk with Mitt Romney! What a privledge and he went to hold your sister but she, of course, had it out at the point and started fussing! No politician wants to be photographed with a crying baby so he moved on and the chance was missed. I'm just happy that you and your sister go to be a part of this experience. I'm proud of your little sister for her patience and also her aversion to strange men holding her. Not that Mitt Romney, is strange, just that she doesn't know him.
After Romney passed, we left the crowd and no sooner did we leave the protection of someone's umbrella, the bottomed opened up and it started to pour! We ran the the car while Bella giggled all the way! Of course she wanted to play and dance in the rain, it's the least I could do, after all her patience. But only for a little bit because it was cold outside. She had so much fun! She loves to play in the rain, and when you are big enough, I'll let you play in the rain too! That's just the kind of mom I am, you're so lucky! But I'm pretty sure you already knew that :)
I am grateful for the men and women who have fought and died for our country in order for us to be a free country. To be a country where we can vote and elect our leaders and a place where we can worship freely. I'd also like to add, while it may seem trivial, I desperately wanted to meet and get a photo with Bella and Mitt Romney, and while it wasn't the way I intended, I know Heavenly Father made it possible. I know this is sometimes how He answers our prayers, it might not be the way we expect the answer but if we look closely, we can see His hand in all we do. This is important for me to remember and for you to learn, as we come into this new adventure together! I am already so proud of you and your family. I can't wait to meet you and see the person you become, who knows? You might be the next president one day. If you are, I will be there to support you every step of the way, in whatever you do, because I love you.
|
No comments:
Post a Comment