Friday, August 31, 2012

What Matters Most

I was working on this post about trials... Because we've had an outpouring as of late. I wanted to remember all the trials so I could reflect on them when the blessings come, because they always do. But I'm easily overwhelmed and since our trials happen in monsoons I tend to break easily before coming to my knees in prayer and then talking to Mitch. We've had some bad days with today seeming to boil to a head but the comfort of talking with him and reaffirming our goals and knowing we are doing the right things and going in the right direction, that the trials stack up against us but we have been promised it will work out and I have faith in this. We are expecting our first son in less than a month and I can't even fathom the joy that will bring but I know the Lord has great things in store for our family and I know I must have faith, even in the storms of our life.

But this is not what I wanted to remember about today. No, what I wanted to remember was something I had forgotten about in all the turmoil, as the tender moments often do get forgotten when faced with adversity.

In my crusade to document all of our trials, I took a break to watch the RNC which seriously rocked my world. Loved it. Okay, technically I took a break to watch a movie with my husband who seriously deserved this small luxury but the movie got too scary so I watched the RNC with my in laws. Nonetheless, AWESOME! I seriously want to go out and vote now. Never been so excited for November. But I digress...

Mitch was ready for bed and as we often do we talk about our day since most of it was rehashed during said breakdown, I was about to say goodnight when I remembered the most special part of my day.

I've literally been exhausted with being sick, pregnant, and passing kidney stones that I spent a majority of our morning on the couch while Bella watched a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse marathon. This in itself was a miracle and tender mercy. Around lunch time I got up and reheated leftover pizza which was heavenly and much enjoyed. I even let Bella run in and out of the kitchen between bites to continue watching the marathon.

After lunch, I decided I needed a bath. Due to the sickness, kidney stones,pregnancy...etc, I realized it'd been a couple days since I showered. I know, I'm gross. Bella loves bubble baths so I decided we'd have an afternoon bath together. She was so sweet and after our hellacious day before, I soaked it up. After our bath, we went through the normal routine except this time I offered her lotion on her body. She was happy to oblige. I specifically waited for her feet until after she let me comb out her tangles. That was the deal. And it worked. So as promised, I massaged her tiny feet with lotion. She was delighted and relaxed and grateful. Yes, my toddler was grateful, how did I know? Because after I massaged her feet, she says "Mommy, it's your turn! Lay down, just lay down.". (she meant sit, we're working on the differences of lay and sit)... She then takes the lotion and squirts a small dot on her index finger, and with her tiny hand she runs it on my foot. It was a very brief time, just enough to get the lotion off of her hands. She did the same thing with my other foot. Then goes "All Done, Mommy!"

It was not the length or quality of the massage but the desire she had to serve me and the joy she had while doing it, that touched my heart. That tender mercy in a trying time. This is the thing that matters most to me. My family and their well being. This is what I want to remember about today and not the trials were facing or the things set before us, but my loving child who wanted to make Mommy's feet feel good too. Even as I write this my other child is actively rolling around in my tummy, reminding me that he loves me too. And I am so grateful. I never want to lose my gratitude.

As Mitch and I were talking I told him that the most important thing is that we have our family. There's nothing seriously wrong with our health and we have each other and that's all that really matters. I am truly blessed and look forward to tomorrow because I have faith in my Father in Heaven and I have faith in His plan for me and my family. That's what I want to remember about today.

No comments:

Post a Comment