Sunday, September 9, 2012

Out of the mouth of babes

Bella LOVES nursery! She asks about going all week. On the days she takes naps, I ask her if she has sweet dreams, and she always says yes. I ask her what she dreams about and every time she says, "Nursery!".

She loves church. So last Sunday when she said she didn't want to go to church, I thought it was just a toddler fluke. This is the age where up can be down and down can be up.  I went to check on her like I do every Sunday and talked with her teacher who said she was a little sensitive today and got upset when someone pushed her.  Bella normally is very active in nursery and loves to sing and play with everyone so I was sad that she was not having the best experience, but I also understood, these things would happen. We talked about it on the way home from church and tried to focus on the positive things she did like about nursery and not that someone pushed her.

So this morning as we are cuddling on the couch, I ask her, "Bella, do you know today is?" I tell her "it's Sunday."  I then ask her, "What do we do on Sunday?"  And she says, "go to church, but I don't want to go to nursery."  This breaks my heart.  So I ask her why she doesn't want to go, and she responds with "so and so push me" (I didn't name the child to protect the innocent)  I assure her that if "so and so" pushes her, just to go to the teacher.   I then ask her if she'd like to say a prayer that she'll be safe in nursery.  And she says yes.

So we say a prayer together and after I close the prayer.  She tells me "I don't have to be scared anymore, because Jesus will come with me." (That's right I tell her) "And He'll hug me and give me kisses because He loves me." (Smiling to myself, "Yes, Jesus does love you.")  And with that, she is excited for nursery again.

I know that I can teach her that we can always say a prayer in a time of need or in gratitude or anytime at all.  In my prayer, I said that she would be safe and happy and nursery and asked Heavenly Father to watch over her.   When she responded to the prayer talking about Jesus, it wasn't coached or repeated.  Those things were spoken from her heart, her face just lit up, and I have no doubt in my mind, it came from her Heavenly Father, assuring her everything would be okay.  They say in the scriptures, "Out of the mouth of babes" and I truly believe this to be accurate.  I know that when she told me those things, it's because they were confirmed to her.  She has such great faith and I know she will be protected today at nursery.  It just makes my testimony that much more firm in the gospel and I am so grateful for these sweet teaching moments I have with her.  Even though, my goal was to teach her about prayer and how we can always pray,  she taught me that when we do pray for comfort and protection, Heavenly Father will send angels or even our Savior, to "come with us and hug us and kiss us"  in whatever trial we may be facing and what a wonderful comfort that is to us!  Happy Sunday :)





1 comment:

  1. I totally teared up reading this. I cannot wait for Remy to be able to say the things she knows. I think children are so connected to our Heavenly Father still. The veil between heaven and earth must have frayed ends that extend into the lives of children before they reach a certain edge. How else can they understand such powerful truths through the Spirit? Amazing!

    ReplyDelete